Week 4 Story Laboratory: Stories and Friends

Stories and Friends

Meme by: MakeAMeme.Org

The Danger of A Single Story
I LOVED watching this TedTalk! It goes to show how biased people opinions are about everything just by hearing one story. I too have faced the pains of the danger of a single story. For example, when I moved to Oklahoma City, I introduced myself and said I was from Chicago. Many people asked if I was terrified living there and left because Chicago has so many murders its nickname is Chiraq. I grew frustrated hearing it because Chicago is my hometown and is a beautiful place and just like anywhere there are bad people. Another example is when I moved to Los Angeles, I introduced myself and told people I was from Oklahoma. You would not believe the questions I got. A few of them were questions like where Oklahoma is on a map, if Oklahomans still ride horses everywhere and if we had electricity. Although I feel as though my personal stories aren't as discouraging as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie I understand just a sliver of her pain. I liked how honest she was about how she too is biased through a tale of single stories she has hear. This TedTalk inspired me to reflect and work towards a path of non-judgment.

Imaginary friends and real-world consequences: parasocial relationships 
Jennifer Barnes does a great job of explaining the answers of the two questions: Why do we care so much about fictional character and what effects do relationships we form with these characters have done on us? I think unfortunately a good example of this is the death of Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna Bryant. People across the world were extremely saddened by this death. Over a week later in LA I still see signs that say RIP Mamba, murals being painted of Kobe and his daughter and streets full of people wearing Kobe Bryant's number. A good majority of these people have never met him however he has strongly effected their lives through the power of his accomplishments. 

Comments

Popular Posts