Week 6: Story Lab Creative Life

Creative Life

A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman
  • I enjoyed watching and listening to Scott Barry Kaufman talk on A New Theory of Human Intelligence so much. This video talked about his holistic approach of passion and personal goals. I to believe that achievement should trump potential and too have struggled with judgment from teachers and professors because the way I learn is different from others as well. Just like how Scott Barry Kaufman used strategy through commitment and creativity and eventually getting his dream of being a psychology major and eventually getting his PhD at Yale is how I've been able to reach my dreams as well. It is extremely discouraging to hear that you're not good enough because of test scores and grades when I've tried my hardest. I've learned to accept that I'm talented in some aspects of life and not in others and that is perfectly okay. I would encourage schools and universities to follow this new theory of human intelligence because I know many of my peers that struggle with this too and eventually leads to mental health problems. Honestly, I've really enjoyed this class because I believe for the most part there is no wrong answer. I get to express my creativity and learn at the same time! 
Copyright is Brain Damage by Nina Paley
  • Nina Paley discussion on Copyright is Brain Damage is a different perspective that what I've learned in my degree in Advertising. I had many classes and tests on Copyright infringements and other laws in that area. I loved the point she made on how in order for culture to stay alive we must be open to receiving and transmitting information. Censoring our expressing we close more and information becomes less. Threats dictate what we express and often the creative process no longer becomes creative and it becomes more about lawyers and laws. I do too believe we've become more of a permission culture and again, agree with her point of through copyright we not just censor art, we censor and inhibit communication, thinking, progression, relationship and culture.

Comments

Popular Posts